What is hydroxyzine (Vistaril)?
Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine with anticholinergic (drying) and sedative properties that is used to treat allergic reactions.
What brand names are available for hydroxyzine?
- Vistaril is the brand name available for hydroxyzine in the US.
- Atarax and Hy-Pam25, Orgatrax brands have been discontinued and are no longer available in the US.
Is hydroxyzine (Vistaril) available as a generic drug?
Do I need a prescription for hydroxyzine (Vistaril)?
Why is hydroxyzine (Vistaril) prescribed to patients?
- Hydroxyzine is used for the relief of pruritus (itching) caused by various allergic conditions.
- Hydroxyzine also is used to treat anxiety and tension, and inducing sedation prior to or after anesthesia.
- Hydroxyzine also is used to treat nausea, vomiting, and alcohol withdrawal.
What are the side effects of hydroxyzine (Vistaril)?
Common side effects of hydroxyzine are:
- Disturbed coordination
- Drying and thickening of oral and other respiratory secretions
- Stomach distress
Other important side effects include:
Hydroxyzine should be used with caution (if at all) in persons with narrow-angle glaucoma, prostatic hypertrophy (enlarged prostate gland), hyperthyroidism, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, and asthma.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 11/11/2016
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.